In the beginning, I had wanted to write about 25 things I want to do in 2010. But I changed my mind because doing is not good enough to demand my commitment. I believe that while it is in “doing” that I become better, it is in “being” that I become excellent.
What is the difference? Good question! The difference is this. When I am “doing” something, I am in the process of getting there but I am not there yet. There is still room for procrastination and an escape clause and excuses to run away from doing. In “doing” there is a sense of separation between my body, mind and soul.
When I am “being” something, I have arrived and because I am whole where my body, mind and soul unite in oneness. In “being” I am already it and making a stand for being what I am.
So, here are 25 things I am being in 2010
- Realizing that life is a school and I’m here to learn – problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class but the lessons I learned will last a lifetime.
- Living with the 3 E’s — Energy, Enthusiasm, and Empathy.
- Believing that the best is yet to come. No matter how I feel, I will get up, dress up and show up.
- Realizing that no one is in charge of my happiness except me.
- Not taking myself so seriously because no one else does.
- Doing something good to others, and making at least three people smile each day
- Talking to my family and friends more often.
- Spending more time with people over the age of 60 and under the age of 6.
- Not comparing my life to others, I have no idea what their journey is all about.
10. Not wasting my precious energy on entertaining gossips because what other people think of me is none of my business.
11. Realizing that envy is a waste of time, I already have all I need
12. Building a life with a loving man who loves Allah and who loves me because of Allah
13. Having more fun in life – playing more games, smiling and laughing more.
14. Not having to win every argument and agreeing to disagree.
15. Forgiving everyone for everything because life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
16. Making peace with my past, living in the present and building on the future
17. Having faith that however good or bad a situation is, will not change
18. Performing my daily prayers 5 times a day
19. Having me time alone, sitting in silence for at least 10 minutes each day in meditation
20. Taking a 10-30 minutes’ walk every day.
21. Reading more books than I did in 2009
22. Eating breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a beggar
23. Eating more foods that grow on trees and plants and less food that is manufactured in plants.
24. Drinking plenty of water – 2 liters each day.
25. Sleeping for 6 to 8 hours, having sweet dreams every night, dreaming more when I’m awake, and when I’m awake alive in the morning, I will thank Allah for it.