Politicians calling bloggers liars equates the pot calling the kettle black, don’t you think?
Reading fellow blogger Elizabeth Wong kinda make me think that the level of male chauvinism in our society has gone from bad to worse. Barely 3 months into Visit Malaysia Year 2007, our Malaysian Minister of Tourism made a blunt statement which sent the wrong message to an ordinary citizen like me. He said:
1. Bloggers are liars
2. They use all sort of ways to cheat others
3. From what I know, out of 10,000 unemployed bloggers, 8,000 are women
4. Bloggers like to spread rumours, they don’t like national unity
5. Today our country has achievements because we are tolerant and compromising
6. Otherwise we will have civil war
7. Malays will kill Chinese, Chinese will kill Malays, Indians will kill everybody else
I wonder, is our minister generalising bloggers as a group of unemployed people, majority of them women, who has nothing better to do other than spreading lies? Now THAT is THE LIE. Do not prosecute the bloggers community because of a handful of bloggers who are the actual rumour mongering liars. Janganlah sebab nila setitik, santan sebelanga rosak.
I don’t have the statistics to support or oppose his statement. But then again, if he was misquoted, then blame it on the media. If he really said those words verbatim, then blame it on the minister’s ignorance and lack of sensitivity towards women kind. That shouldn’t happen, when selling the country to tourists is his job.
I think he should do some PR with the bloggers to promote our country, not making bloggers his enemies. Indeed, the pen is mightier than the sword…